Thursday, August 30, 2012

CABARET:The World Of The Solo Performer



                                                                     
 
                                         I don't believe that Cabaret is a dead form.

     Although cliches of the genre abound, the reason I was attracted to it as such a youngster (I started playing the coffee houses and cafe's in Toronto as a teenager) was that it spoke to me as a kind of living art form that could  allow me to blossom.

         Lets not forget that in the 70's we not only had breakthrough performers like Bette Midler and Liza Minelli but also rock n roll stars like David Bowie and Lou Reed borrowing heavily from the world of Cabaret and reinventing the concepts.

                                                                           

           Lucky for me Toronto had a vibrant Cabaret scene in the 70's and early 80's which allowed me to perform 7 nights a week and be able to pay a band while I worked out a way of entertaining crowds night after night.

            My current solo show is a reflection of what I learned at that time, combining Jazz standards with originals, reinventing R&B and classic Pop covers to suit my musical personality and combining them all in a kind of narrative that tells my own story.

Although I love working with musicians, the challenge of the one person cabaret show is something I've been working with a long time, and it feels like a natural place to communicate from.

The immediate relationship created with the audience is one of intimacy, my favorite kind of relationship ha ha!

To hear current material from the new show please log onto  Myspace

To join my FB fan page and stay in the loop on upcoming shows please click "like"
on this page: Micah Barnes Fan Page

To follow my adventures on twitter follow me at  Twitter

Cheers
Y'all!
Micah Barnes
http://www.micahbarnes.com

                         

No comments:

Post a Comment