Wednesday, October 23, 2013

New York Stories: The Music Of The Brill Building.. featuring Gavin Hope!

Gavin has one of the most beautiful voices in the country and is celebrating his critically acclaimed new disc "For All We Know". I am so excited to finally be sharing the stage with him again after many many years! Here is our short interview in support of the concert New York Stories: The Music Of The Brill Building Oct 24th at Hugh's Room in Toronto reservations at info@hughsroom.com!


                                                           

Micah: When we first met you were still a teenager singing with The Earthtones and opening the show for The Nylons! So you started singing A Capella young! How did all that come about?
Gavin: I've always loved choral and a cappella ensembles since I was in high school, and in 1991, I won a talent competition singing at the Calgary Stampede called the Youth Talent Showdown, and that's where I met the Earthtones. As a part of that group,  we toured around a lot in western Canada performing doo-wop and pop tunes, and were stoked when we were asked to join the bill and open for the Nylons!! A highlight of that experience was you bringing us back on stage to sing with you in the encore "Kiss Him Goodbye", and you passing me your microphone.. I nearly shat.   ( on a side note, the year before I became an EarthTone, I saw the Nylons perform at Jack Singer Concert Hall  and absolutely loved the show - Little did I know that the next year I'd be in a group that opened for the Nylons, and the following year - I'd be IN the Nylons! What a trip ). So yes Micah, I was a wee lad of 17 or 18 when we met I think..lol. 


Micah: How do you compare your musical theatre experience (starring in the original Canadian production of both RENT and The Lion King) influence your stage performance work as a singer?

Gavin: As a singer, to be in shows like The Lion King and RENT were quite demanding. We had 6-8 weeks of rehearsal leading up to performing 8 times a week, 6 days a week. So I learned how to sing in a much more controlled way, for survival! I couldn't be reckless with my voice and just belt anything out.. I started learning where my limits were and how to overcome them. It was a challenge, but definitely a growing experience. I also learned how to take care of my instrument more, and getting more sleep to make sure I was rested for the performances. Matinees and double show days were pretty demanding for sure - especially by the end of the week! In Lion King especially - it wasn't just singing, but it's one of the most physically demanding shows you can do as a singer.. running around, dancing AND singing..all in cumbersome and delicate costumes. When I was playing Simba, I had a tight head mask on, a corset, and in one scene I even had to battle the villain while being strung up 14 feet in the air. It was all quite the wild experience.

Micah:The Nylons is a musical institution in Canada, what were the challenges in joining an already existing group for you?

I think the biggest challenge for me was fitting in as the youngest member. I was barely 20 years old when I joined the group initially, and the guys not only were quite older than myself, they were an established icon in Canadian music that had been around for about 14 years before I joined. They had many fans, and I was one of two 'new guys' in the band. But because I was young, I had fresh wide eyes and was pretty much ready and willing to do just about anything - it was such a thrill!! WIthin a month or two of joining the band I was already in studio recording my first album with them ( Because ) and the follow up Christmas album Harmony. As far as the challenges though - primarily the age gap, trying to fit in, and wooing the old fans.. But it all seemed to fall into place relatively quickly, which I was thankful for.There was also learning the dynamic of the individual guys in the group as well.


Micah Can you tell us a bit about the making of your beautiful new disc and how that all came about?

My new solo Jazz album is called "For All We Know", and it came about randomly literally a year ago, by meeting my producer and accompanist Bill King at the SING! Vocal Arts Festival fundraiser last October. SING! Is a great new local music festival that focusses on vocal talent, groups, and just anything to do with singing in and around Toronto. I was singing at the annual fundraiser as I had performed with the Nylons as a featured group the inaugural year, and was asked to help out. I met Bill at the fundraiser and he played as I sang a tune. He liked my voice and wanted to do some recording together, so over the next few months we laid down a couple of tracks, got some funding from great people at Slaight Music, and lo and behold, we just released a full album of Jazz standards as well as one original by Bill. I'm really excited about it as it's the first time I've recorded this type of album ( my first album was much more pop oriented ) with such lush, simple, and intimate songs. So far we've had a lot of buzz about it, fantastic reviews, some radio play, and some really positive feedback! Looking forward to seeing where this goes. 
                                                                           
New York Stories: The Music of the Brill Building
Micah Barnes & Friends in Concert
$28.50 advance $30 at door
Thursday, Oct. 24, 2013 – 8:30 p.m.
Hugh’s Room
2261 Dundas Street West, Toronto, ON
For dinner reservations or concert tickets, please call the club at 416-531-6604 or email info@hughroom.com.



No comments:

Post a Comment