Wednesday, June 11, 2014

World Pride: Singing Because I Can



It's easy to feel cynical about the idea of World Pride as a citizen of Toronto, the whole city feels like it's gearing up for one big colorful tourism event. Amidst all the hoopla I am feeling something very real around this year's international focus for Pride as I prepare to perform on stages across the city.

"All great artists draw from the same resource: the human heart, which tells us that we are all more alike than we are unalike"-Maya Angelou


 This year I will be thinking about all the gay men and women who live in fear of bring killed for living their truth in countries around the world such as Uganda and Russia. How lucky are we to live in such an open and accepting place as Canada where we led the charge for same sex marriage internationally and offer safe haven to refugees from countries where their lives are in danger.

I will be joining the Nylons performing at the outdoor Aids Vigil June 24rd. June 25th I will join Lorraine Segato, Jackie Richardson, Billy Newton Davis and kd Lang on the bill for the World Pride Gala, and take part in the ROM World Pride concert with John Alcorn, Heather Bambrick, Julie Michaels and Bill King June 27th.
                                                                             
                                                                 

"The truth is, no one of us can be free until everybody is free"-Maya Angelou

Thats what I will be carrying in my heart as I join my singing brothers and sisters in song for World Pride. Singing for those who can't. Singing for these who have been silenced. Singing because I can.

Micah on Twitter
Facebook Fanpage
Micah on You Tube

No comments:

Post a Comment