Monday, November 26, 2012

The Grand Piano



                                                  Liberty Village to Queen West



 I grew up in a skinny dark victorian house in The Annex area of downtown Toronto. It seems that all of the houses had an old out of tune upright piano left over from earlier days in what would have been the parlor.
                                    An old fashioned home entertainment system!

That's how I grew up playing the piano to accompany myself on those glorious standards in my parents music books.  For some reason when I play an electric keyboard it all becomes intellectual compared to when I lay my hands on an actual instrument and can "feel" the sound.


     My father Milton Barnes was a classical composer and so one would assume that he would have worked on a real piano. It was always a heartache to me that he created all that beautiful music on an electric piano, and I always vowed that one day I would own and play a grand piano. So when brother composer and drummer Daniel needed to move out of his Liberty Village studio this month I made the purchase of the baby grand that has graced his studio these past years.


Perfect timing.  I am right at the place in the writing of new material where working on a real piano could deepen and open up the musical possibilities. Besides supporting my composing life the piano also gets to aid in the support of my clients at my Singers Playground coaching studio.

What every artist needs..... The best tools available to create with.
Here's to you Miltie!


 http://www.micahbarnes.com
http://www.singersplayground.com

No comments:

Post a Comment